The library's digital collections offer digitized artifacts, art, diaries, letters, newspapers, photographs, oral histories, publications, and reports. These collections focus on the history of the University of North Carolina Wilmington as well as the history of Southeast North Carolina and the Lower Cape Fear Region.
Discover archival materials, books, and media about history, culture, and government in Southeast North Carolina, along with other subjects in regional studies. The Center also contains the archives of the University of North Carolina Wilmington.
More Digital Collections
Individual digital collections are listed below. Searching collections individually can provide more relevant results, depending on the topic.
Williston College served local African American students and returning veterans, operating as an extension unit of Fayetteville State Teachers College until 1955, and then as a unit that was administratively part of Wilmington College. UNCW's Board of Trustees officially closed Williston College two years after Wilmington College's desegregation in 1962. In addition to course descriptions, the academic catalogue includes an application for admission, biographical information for the institution’s leaders, tuition rates, fees, and requirements for the Associate in Arts. UNCW has issues published in 1955-1956 and 1958-1959.
A county bond referendum gave Wilmington College and Williston College local support and designation as junior colleges. Classes were held in Williston High School. As with Wilmington College, college transfer and vocational classes were offered.
Wilmington College opened for white students as a college extension center of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It remained segregated until 1962. In addition to course information and academic policies, the Wilmington College bulletin published photographs of buildings, illustrations, the historical background of the college, requirements for the Associate in Arts, information about vocational education, and statements of the college's mission and objectives.
A county bond referendum gave Wilmington College and Williston College local support and designation as junior colleges. Wilmington College held classes at New Hanover High School and Isaac Bear, a former elementary school, until the 1961 move to a new campus on Highway 132. The 1963 bulletin announced the college’s authorization to offer the bachelor’s degree. Wilmington College’s name changed to UNC Wilmington when the campus became part of the consolidated University of North Carolina System.
The Faculty Wives Club was founded in 1959 to promote Wilmington College through socials and special events. It was renamed the University Women's Club in the 1970s. Among other activities, the club held events for the chancellor, Board of Trustees, and faculty. This scrapbook includes newspaper clippings, correspondence, newsletters, photographs, and programs.